[Monetdb-developers] Get xquery timing, Error when running examples, etc

kla gw klarinda.gw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 16:49:42 CEST 2006

Hi, thanks for answering my questions :)

On 7/6/06, Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd at acm.org> wrote:
> On 2006-07-06 11:29, kla gw wrote:
> > 1. How to run the query from the command prompt and get the
> > timing? Currently, everytime I want to run the query, I have to start
> > XQuery Server (start - all programs - monetdb xquery - XQuery Server).
> > After that I save the xquery into .xq file, then run it by right click -
> > open with MPFClient. I've tried the following in XQuery Server but it
> > gives me error:
> >
> > MonetDB>MapiClient -T -lx test.xq;
> > !ERROR: "MapiClient -T -lx test.xq;"
> > !                                  ^
> > ! can't help you here, sorry.
> > MonetDB>
>
> Take a look at the BAT script MPFclient.bat in the installation folder
> (normally C:\Program Files\CWI\MonetDB-XQuery).  Towards the end there
> is a call to MapiClient.exe.  You can add a -T option there, however
> that would mess up the XML file that is generated and given to Internet
> Explorer.  So a better solution might be to copy the script (but leave
> it in the same folder) and modify it to save the output of the
> MapiClient.exe command into a file which you should not open (the bit
> starting with the && on the MapiClient line) or throw away like is done
> in the script.

I have tried to copy the script and add a -T option. Below is a
portion of the modified MPFClient.bat:

rem start the real client
set XMLFILE=%TEMP%\MonetDB-XQuery-%RANDOM%.xml
"%MONETDB%\bin\MapiClient.exe -T"  --set "prefix=%MONETDB%" --set
"exec_prefix=%MONETDB%" -lxquery -sxml %* > "%XMLFILE%" && "%XMLFILE%"

but when I run the .xq file (right click, open with
MPFClientModified.bat), there is no result.

My question is: How do you save the output into the file, instead of
opening it in IE?

Btw I tried the solution given by Jens (to run from command prompt),
and it works :)

> > 2. I tried to run the example in the website, books1.xq and books2.xq
> > and slashdot.xq. In the files, the xml file is from internet. But when I
> > run the files, the following error message come out:
> >
> > ERROR: No such file or directoryI/O warning : failed to load external
> > entity "http://monetdb.cwi.nl/XQuery/files/bib.xml"
> > ERROR: shred:mainSHREDDER: xmlCreateURLParserCtxt("
> > http://monetdb.cwi.nl/XQuery/files/bib.xml") failed
> > ERROR: CMDshred2bats: operation failed.
> > ERROR: interpret_params: +(param 2): evaluation error.
> >
> > Is it connection problem? How to modify the connection settings so that
> > I can download data from internet?
>
> Try loading the xml file in your web browser.  If that doesn't succeed
> either, it's a connection problem.

I still have this problem, so I guess it's connection problem.

> > 4. Where is the shredded document being stored? Is it in the place where
> > I install the program or in My Documents? Because before I uninstall
> > 0.10.2, I shredded some documents, and after I uninstall then install
> > 0.12.0 , the shredded xml documents are still there.
>
> The database is stored in %APPDATA%\MonetDB (normally C:\Documents and
> Settings\<user name>\Application Data\MonetDB) and is not removed on
> uninstall.  See the Mserver.bat script.

How does the xml being shredded? I see there are lots of .buns, .desc,
.theap files. Is there any documentation on the shredding detail?

And I'm also interested to create a GUI / interface for XQuery and
connect it to MonetDB/XQuery. Please give me some idea of where/how to
start. Is it possible to use Java for the GUI?

Regards,

Klarinda