[Monetdb-developers] [Monetdb-checkins] MonetDB/conf conf.bash, 1.129, 1.130

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Wed Jul 5 10:57:06 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:13:15AM +0200, Jens Teubner wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 07:34:03AM +0000, Stefan Manegold wrote:
>
> > [...]
> >
> > Debian's default flex 2.5.31 does not like the Pathfinder code;
> > hence, we use our own flex 2.5.33 instead.
> >
> > [...]
>
> I haven't realized that we have a problem there, but your commit message
> seems suspicious to me:
>
> Your checkin only modifies conf.bash.  That means, only development
> folks will be affected by your checkin.  Users will not have your
> specialized flex version installed.
>
> If we indeed have problems with flex 2.5.31, I guess we'll either have
> to either
>
>  (a) change our code such that it does compile with 2.5.31.  I don't
>      know what the problem was on Debian, so I have no clue if we could
>      fix this.
>
> Or
>
>  (b) we should check the flex version in ./configure and abort
>      compilation in case the installed flex version is not sufficient to
>      compile Pathfinder.
>
> Maybe you can enlighten me (maybe also others) what the actual flex
> problem was.  I cannot find anything in the TestWeb.

Check the "Debian3.1" column at
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/testing/projects/monetdb/Stable/pathfinder/.mTests103/index_short.html
or go directly to
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/testing/projects/monetdb/Stable/pathfinder/.mTests103/GNU.64.64.d-Debian3.1/tests_BugDay_2005-11-09_0.9.3/dashes_in_functions.SF-1198495.err.00.html

With flex 2.5.31 (at least on Debian; the only platform in the TestWebPool
that has flex 2.5.31; all others have either flex 2.5.4 or 2.5.33), we get
tons of
========
syntax error, unexpected at_StringLiteral on line 1 (next token is 'should work'')
parse error: XQuery parsing failed
========

with pathfinder; with flex 2.5.33 these are gone (on Debian).

Admittedly, my "fix" only works for the testweb, and indeed, if this is a
flex 2.5.31 problem on other platforms as well, we should rather have
configure check for the flex version, and quit in case we find 2.5.31.
However, since I don't know, whether this in only a problem with the default
flex 2.5.31 on our 64-bit Debian 3.1, I went for this quick hack.

I also did not spend any time on analysing whether we could change our code
to work properly with the default flex 2.5.31 on our 64-bit Debian 3.1.

Indeed, only "development folks" that use conf/conf.bash on a Debian system
will benefit from my "fix". However, the tarball come with the flex/bison
generated C code, hence these tools should not be required for users; and
hence, the problem should not occur for users.

Stefan