[Monetdb-developers] bootstrap problems

Martin Kersten Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl
Wed Dec 27 11:17:29 CET 2006

Hi,

I hope that you are working on the stable branch, but the errors
reported hint into a different direction.

As announced last Friday we are in a big cleanup mode, which lead
to a different organization of packages. The immediate benefits are
faster compilation, reduction of dependencies, and better transition to
the M5 line.
This process is still in full swing and will shortly be complemented
with a new HowToInstall document.

For the time being, you may use the following script/advice of Niels.

-------------- run this helper script in the root of your tree---
#!/bin/sh

#export COMP=ntv
export BITS=64

os=`uname`
x="-$COMP"
if [ "$x" = "-" ]; then
         x="";
fi
prefix=$os$x

dir=$HOME/current/
pdir=$HOME/current/$prefix

if [ -z $BUILDTOOLS_PREFIX ]; then
export PYTHONPATH=$pdir/`python -c 'import distutils.sysconfig; print distutils.
sysconfig.get_python_lib(0,0,"")'`

export BUILDTOOLS_PREFIX=$pdir
export BUILDTOOLS_BUILD=$pdir/build-buildtools
export MONETDB_PREFIX=$pdir
export MONETDB_BUILD=$pdir/build-monetdb
export CLIENTS_PREFIX=$pdir
export CLIENTS_BUILD=$pdir/build-clients
export MONET4_PREFIX=$pdir
export MONET4_BUILD=$pdir/build-monet4
export SQL_PREFIX=$pdir
export SQL_BUILD=$pdir/build-sql
#
cd $dir/buildtools
source $dir/buildtools/conf/conf.bash
cd $dir/MonetDB
source $dir/buildtools/conf/conf.bash
cd $dir/clients
source $dir/buildtools/conf/conf.bash
cd $dir/monet4
source $dir/buildtools/conf/conf.bash
cd $dir/sql
source $dir/buildtools/conf/conf.bash

fi

This will set up the necessary variables *BUILD and *PREFIX
and sources the conf/conf.bash for the packages needed.

Start with building the buildtools in $BUILDTOOLS-BUILD
i.e. in that location perform configure_buildtools, make, make install

The next package is MonetDB, which holds common stuff, so
cd $MONETDB_BUILD, configure_MonetDB, make, make install

It is advisable to start with a fresh shell and re-run
the script above to reset the variables and create proper
directories for others.

 From here you build 'clients', 'monet4',  'SQL','pathfinder'

For M5 users, the sequence is 'clients','monet5','SQL'

Please report on errors, as we are accumulating a log
of end-user experiences with the aim to lower the threshold
for anybody to rebuild the source trees from scratch.

regards, Martin