[Monetdb-developers] buildtools configure.ac

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Tue Dec 26 15:46:14 CET 2006

On 26-12-2006 15:36:41 +0100, Stefan Manegold wrote:
> There's simply one reason: "enforce" that /bootstrap is run before
> configure; and as usually, bootstrap creates configure from configure.* .
>
> Why * = "ac" and not "ag" or "in" -- well, bascially because there are
> {Mx,mel,burg}/configure.ac, not {Mx,mel,burg}/configure.ag or
> {Mx,mel,burg}/configure.in .
>
> Both, the top-level "bootstrap" & "configure[.ac]" are just wrappers that
> call the respective conifugre of Mx, mel, burg .
>
> Looking into configure.ac, you might have noticed that it is not "real"
> configure.ac at all.

I think it's too challenging to write a script to check whether an .ac
file really is an .ac file.  Autoconf itself doesn't even do that.

> If the .ac is a problem for some script, feel free to remane it too
> something else (configure.bs (for "bootstrap", i.e., the "tool" that
> eventually creates configure)?), but I'd prefer (in fact recommend) to not
> call it confiure (without extension) as that could suggest that no bootstrap
> is required, which is not the case.

I worked around it by just bootstrapping the separate directories and
copying configure.ac to configure.  That works for me, but still I find
it confusing to find an .ac file which in fact isn't an ac file at all.
(The same would hold if it would be called configure.in.)