[Monetdb-developers] buildtools configure.ac

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Tue Dec 26 15:36:41 CET 2006

There's simply one reason: "enforce" that /bootstrap is run before
configure; and as usually, bootstrap creates configure from configure.* .

Why * = "ac" and not "ag" or "in" -- well, bascially because there are
{Mx,mel,burg}/configure.ac, not {Mx,mel,burg}/configure.ag or
{Mx,mel,burg}/configure.in .

Both, the top-level "bootstrap" & "configure[.ac]" are just wrappers that
call the respective conifugre of Mx, mel, burg .

Looking into configure.ac, you might have noticed that it is not "real"
configure.ac at all.

If the .ac is a problem for some script, feel free to remane it too
something else (configure.bs (for "bootstrap", i.e., the "tool" that
eventually creates configure)?), but I'd prefer (in fact recommend) to not
call it confiure (without extension) as that could suggest that no bootstrap
is required, which is not the case.

Stefan