[Monetdb-developers] bootstrap: why does it remove .orig files?

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Wed Dec 6 10:38:48 CET 2006

Fabian,

de-bootstrap indeed removes *.orig files, mainly because they might have
been created by bootstrap when conflicts occur during the patch(es).

Yes, this might be a bit "eager", but de-boostrap is kept a bit "generic"
since it is hard to list exactly only the files that bootstrap creates (in
various circumstance) and maintain this list.

That's why there are wildcards.

And that's why de-boostrap asks the developer for confirmation before
deleting any file(s).

Moreover this is open source hence
(1) no guarantees
(2) use at your own risk
(3) feel free to fix/change/improve the code

My apologies for the inconveniences caused by de-bootstrap.

Stefan