[Monetdb-developers] big checkin coming up

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Tue Aug 29 09:52:07 CEST 2006

Today I am planning to check in the changes to add bte (byte or 8-bit
integer) and wrd (word or platform dependent sized integer) types.
Apart from very minor changes in the test output of pathfinder and
monet5, I have not had to make any changes to sql, pathfinder, and
monet5.  The changes in M4 are substantial, however, and there are also
some changes to mel (i.e. the buildtools).

The plan is to in the future change existing code to start using the new
types where it makes sense.  E.g. the PRE_LEVEL column in pathfinder
could be changed to bte (or perhaps to sht, but that takes up more
space), and the result of count() on a BAT should be changed to wrd
(instead of int).  Changes such as these are *not* part of this commit.

Another idea for the future is to get rid of the byte-sized chr type and
replace it with a character type (possibly still called chr) that can
hold any Unicode code point (i.e. a 32-bit entity).  Again, this is not
part of this commit.

I will add tags before and after the commit.

--
Sjoerd Mullender