[Monetdb-developers] MXQ: MapiClient -lxquery output mode

Martin Kersten Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl
Thu Aug 17 22:38:22 CEST 2006

Hi Fabian,

I support the request for consistency and verboseness.
The original reasons for the MAPI text exchange protocol
(which dates back to the early 80's ;-))
was to simplify analysis of responses received from a server
by any client tool. Including simple shell script filters.
That's the reason for #, [, and !ERROR, !FATAL, !WARNING
in all output lines.
To be consistent with this policy, xquery could have introduced
its own leader character(s) to analyse the result, and
which could be stripped (restyled) by any front-end easily.

Aside from the verbose information on the origin of an error
and context, I would not be pleased if an error message
appeared hidden at an arbitrary place in a 100MB XML output.
But, of course, the XQuery standardization committee may
have more wisdom or vision on how to deal with error responses.

regards, Martin
ps. Thanks in advance if you take the burden to approve them
by hand. Watch out for RSI !