[Monetdb-developers] XQuery type casts: "X cast as xs:TYPE" vs. "xs:TYPE(X)"

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Wed Aug 16 17:13:06 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 10:30:34AM +0200, Stefan Manegold wrote:

> Hi Pathfinders,
>
> W3C's XML Query Test Suite (XQTS) makes excessive use of type casts a la
>
> 	xs:TYPE(X)
>
> Pathfinder, however, doesn't like this, complaining about
>
> 	reference to undefined function `xs:TYPE'
>
> [...]
>
> Instead, Pathfinder seem to prefer type casts a la
>
> 	X cast as xs:TYPE
>
> What's the desired solution to solve this problem?
> Implement also "xs:TYPE(X)" in Pathfinder?
> Or "customize" all XQTS tests to use
> "X cast as xs:TYPE" instead of "xs:TYPE(X)"?

In XQuery speak, the operators of the form

  xs:TYPE( ... )

are referred to as ``constructor functions'' (not casts).  They do have
the same semantics as the respective `cast as' clauses.

In my opinion, the "desired solution" is to implement the xs:TYPE()
constructors in Pathfinder and not patch the XQTS tests again.  We can
hardly claim to be compliant if we need to patch the majority of the
tests in advance.

I am not an expert in milprint_summer.  Any volunteers?

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics