[Monetdb-developers] meeting notes

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Fri Apr 28 10:09:32 CEST 2006

- The "meta-CVS" (working title!) will not be finished by May 5 --- at least
  I will not be able to produce a usable verion by then.

- As Niels correctly pointed out (and as the name obviously indicates ;-)),
  "meta-CVS" is intended to simplify check-outs and builds of MonetDB and its
  companions *from CVS*, only (at least the first version; see next point).
  Hence, it is indeed not relevant for the M5 alpha release on May 5.

  In my "vision" the M5 alpha release will be a tarball that is quite
  similar to the current source tarballs of MonetDB-4 and its companions,
  i.e., it builds via `configure ; make ; make install` and requires
  MonetDB-4 to be pre-installed. For now, who ever wants to use M5 need to
  take care of this --- which IMHO is not problem, given that a source-only
  distribution aims (mainly) at developers, and they should know how to
  install MonetDB-4 and how to build M5 from the (then) given tarball as
  sketched above...

- As "meta-CVS" is intended to work with the CVS sources, only, hte
  questions arises, whether we need a similar meta-wrapper for the source
  tarballs (and possibly also one for the source RPMs or a
  "meta-source-RPM"?) --- probably, the ideal solution is to eventually aim
  at a "meta-CVS" who's `make dist` creates a single tarball with the
  sources of MonetDB and all selected (or even ALL) companions included,
  which then requires a single ("meta-") `configure ; make ; make install`
  to build and install everything in one go --- I see what I can do, once
  the basic (CVS-only) "meta-CVS" can do it's own
  `[bootstrap ;] configure ; make ; make install` ...

Stefan