[Monetdb-developers] Re: Monetdb-developers digest, Vol 1 #133 - 1 msg

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Thu Apr 6 09:40:28 CEST 2006

On 06-04-2006 09:12:23 +0200, Niels Nes wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 07:51:59AM +0200, p.a.boncz at chello.nl wrote:
> > No, if we can migrate the history..
>
> history migrating is indeed posible. Subversion has as goal to be a better
> CVS and become a CVS replacement. Thats why migration from CVS to svn should
> be relatively pain free.

What bothers me of SVN is that the client appears to be deliberately
less verbose than CVS's.  It doesn't tell which files it doesn't know
about, it doesn't tell what files are modified, and it doesn't tell
there are conflicts (as far as I am aware).  Also, SVN is EXTREMELY
stupid when updating; if it encounters something it can't cope with
(like an already existing file) it just terminates at that point,
leaving you with a partially updated tree, giving you the same problems
more or less as when a cp fails somewhere in the middle.  CVS would just
continue and produce a warning like "Move X: it is in the way".  All in
all, the SVN client tool just feels like being a lot more clumpsy than
CVS's client tool to me.

Shouldn't be a show stopper though, as we will win for "svn diff"
performance a lot (they are done using local files, not contacting the
server), and finally being able to rename and move whole branches while
retaining history.

Once converted, the CVS repo will not be updated by changes in the SVN
repo.  I think that's fairly important to know.