[Monetdb-developers] MonetDB/XQuery on SunOS 5.9

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Sat Oct 29 10:31:34 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 10:38:39PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> Jens Teubner wrote:
> >7. Linker Error
> >===============
> >
> >Finally I hit this linker error that I don't know how to solve:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >../modules/plain/.libs/lib_arith.so: undefined reference to
> >`__ashrdi3 at GCC_3.0'
> >../modules/plain/.libs/lib_arith.so: undefined reference to
> >`__ashldi3 at GCC_3.0'
> >../modules/plain/.libs/lib_arith.so: undefined reference to
> >`__floatdisf at GCC_3.0'
> >../modules/plain/.libs/lib_arith.so: undefined reference to
> >`__floatdidf at GCC_3.0'
> >collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >gmake[4]: *** [Mserver] Error 1
>
> Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't.  I didn't manage to compile on SunOS
> 5.10 because the Sun headers from /usr/include were taken, instead of
> the GNU/GCC headers from a place far away.  If you have the luck to have
> Sun's CC you might get some further.

Thanks Fabian, that did help for me.  (Although it is not really
satisfactory.  I will try to investigate what goes wrong with gcc here.
But it might be a broken gcc installation on our system then.)

However, using Sun's cc, I hit another problem.  The calibrator stuff
(src/modules/calibrator) explicitly sets the CFLAG `-O0'.  Apparently
this is not understood by Sun's cc.  CFLAG settings in Makefile.ag files
of course don't know about the compiler used on the target platform.  So
this might be a bit tricky to fix.

After removing the `-O0' MonetDB compiled and installed fine.  I cannot
run `gmake check' due to the missing Python installation, but Mserver
seems to work ok.  Next step will now be Pathfinder...

Have a nice weekend

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics

Emacs is a nice OS - but it lacks a good text editor.
That's why I am using Vim.