[Monetdb-developers] MonetDB & the c't database contest

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Sun Oct 16 23:52:59 CEST 2005

Dear all,

in issue 20/2005, our favorite (German ;-)) computer magazine c't
(http://www.heise.de/ct/) calls for a "database contest". The original call
and further information (in German) is available online at
        http://www.heise.de/ct/05/20/156/
an English translation can be found at
        http://firebird.sourceforge.net/connect/ct-dbContest.html

Since we think, it would be a pity, if MonetDB would not participate in this
contest, we decided to give it a try.
Here at CWI, Stratos is currently looking at how to port the Dell's
"DVD-Store" reference implementation (cf. http://linux.dell.com/dvdstore/)
to MonetDB. Creating the database and loading the data needed only minor
changes of the provided scripts. The next step will be to setup the
middleware implementation for the webserver. We plan to use JSP/JDBC, here.
Next to the web-application, we also plan to implement a MonetDB-specific
driver for DVD-Store's "client-simulator" to allow direct client-server
communication.
Additionally, Fabian is busy improving the client-server communication (see
his recent mails on this list).

Of course, other MonetDB-developers/-users are more than welcome to also
participate in the c't database contest effort, maybe using other middleware
languages like PHP or Perl (Steffen? ;-)).
If so, please feel free to let us know, and to ask for support (if necessary
;-)).

We will keep you posted about our progress.

Regards from A'dam,