[Monetdb-developers] JDBC/MonetDB performance test update

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Sat Oct 15 16:42:21 CEST 2005

A small update on the results from yesterday.  I suspected the stream
level protocol we use to be a bit inefficient, so I implemented a IMHO
more efficient version.  In short I omit doing a 4-byte read and write
call to indicate a block of data is done.  I now communicate this by
misusing a bit somewhere.  I hoped for the result to be a bit better,
but I won't complain on MonetDB 4: a rough 30% win on the DBTestI case.

Since this change first has to be ported into MonetDB/Five those results
will be made available later.  The 'new' results are marked as M4n.

The results follow in the table below:

                  PG8       My4       M4p     M4n       M5p     M5n
    JDBC local
    - DBTestI     37s       27s       86s     62s       60s     ??s
    - DBTest      19s       27s       59s     48s       46s     ??s
    - DBTestP     14s       27s       64s     61s       60s     ??s