[Monetdb-developers] SQL upgrade instructions

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Fri May 27 11:00:06 CEST 2005

Fabian wrote:

> Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
>
>> I wrote the following text to help with upgrading the SQL database.  I
>> think something like this should be prominently displayed (or a
>> prominently displayed pointer to the text) so that people read it
>> *before* attempting to upgrade.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> That is, first a line consisting of a greater than symbol followed by
>> the full (!) name of the file in which you want to store the dump.
>
> Perhaps consider "absolute path name" instead of "full name"

Ok.

>> This will redirect future output to the file mentioned.  Then a line
>>
>> It is also possible to dump from the command line.  Start a SQL
>> Server, and then issue the command
>>
>>     MapiClient -lsql -umonetdb -Pmonetdb --dump > dump.sql
>

> Perhaps it is better not to give the reader too many options
> (confusing).  I'd prefer only giving the MapiClient --dump option, as it
> is much more clear to the user what is happening.

Perhaps it is.  On the other hand, it would be good to document
*somewhere* the different techniques.  Also, the \D way of doing things
is handier for Windows users since the commandline interface is not
readily available.

>> That is, a less than symbol followed by the full (!) path name of the
>
> same as above on absolute path name.
>
>> dump file that was produced using the dump instructions.
>>
>> It is also possible to restore from the command line.  Start a SQL
>> Server, and then issue the command
>>
>>     MapiClient -lsql -umonetdb -Pmonetdb < dump.sql
>

> I'd again prefer to only mention this option.
>
> I will change the ebuild such that it refuses to update if the
> var/MonetDB/ directory isn't empty and suggests to do the update as
> written above.  It would be nice if this would be available somewhere on
> the web for that purpose.

Not good, see below.

> Is there a way to dump/restore MIL stuff?

You do that from the *new* installation:

Mserver (with *new* database--the default dbfarm should be changed)
module(upgrade);
convert("/.../bat");
commit();
quit();

repeat for each database within the farm.

--
Sjoerd Mullender