[Monetdb-developers] SQL upgrade instructions

Fabian Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Fri May 27 10:45:39 CEST 2005

Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> I wrote the following text to help with upgrading the SQL database.  I
> think something like this should be prominently displayed (or a
> prominently displayed pointer to the text) so that people read it
> *before* attempting to upgrade.
>
> Comments?
>
> That is, first a line consisting of a greater than symbol followed by
> the full (!) name of the file in which you want to store the dump.
Perhaps consider "absolute path name" instead of "full name"
> This will redirect future output to the file mentioned.  Then a line
>
> It is also possible to dump from the command line.  Start a SQL
> Server, and then issue the command
>
> 	MapiClient -lsql -umonetdb -Pmonetdb --dump > dump.sql

Perhaps it is better not to give the reader too many options
(confusing).  I'd prefer only giving the MapiClient --dump option, as it
is much more clear to the user what is happening.

> That is, a less than symbol followed by the full (!) path name of the
same as above on absolute path name.
> dump file that was produced using the dump instructions.
>
> It is also possible to restore from the command line.  Start a SQL
> Server, and then issue the command
>
> 	MapiClient -lsql -umonetdb -Pmonetdb < dump.sql

I'd again prefer to only mention this option.

I will change the ebuild such that it refuses to update if the
var/MonetDB/ directory isn't empty and suggests to do the update as
written above.  It would be nice if this would be available somewhere on
the web for that purpose.

Is there a way to dump/restore MIL stuff?