[Monetdb-developers] Install MonetDB-server on SLES 9 64 bit

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Wed May 25 22:42:11 CEST 2005

Dear Maggie,

Thank you very much for being interestedn in MonetDB, and please accept our
apologies for the inconvenience you experience.

Indeed, we don not have a precompiled install (RPM) for 64-SuSE, yet;
you could try the Fedora Core version, but I have no idea, whether it will
work on SuSE...

The yacc/lex errors you see can savely be ignored.

The linker error is the real problem.
Unfortunately, I cannot say right now, what the problem is,
but it might be related to whether you have your SuSE system installed/configure
to support the development/compilation of both, 322- and 64-bit programs
(basically, are the system libraries available in both vorsions, or only in one).

By default, MonetDB (tries to) compile 32-bit, even on a 64-bit Linux system
(admittedly, this is not necessairly intuitive, but we haven't found time,
yet, to change this...).
To compile for 64-bit, you nedd to run configure with the "--enable-bits=64"
option.

Hence, my questions would be
a) Do you know, whether your system has both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries installed?
b) Did you run configure with or without the "--enable-bits=64" option?

I hope, that these information will help us, to locate and solve the problem.

Kind Regards,

Stefan