[Monetdb-developers] (no subject)

Roger Erens r.erens at eurosys.nl
Thu Jun 23 23:33:28 CEST 2005

Hi,

I had some problems installing MonetDB-4.8.0 on MS Windows XP:
the Duesseldorf sourceforge mirror still serves the installer that
misses the pqueue stuff. Removing the wrong version via the Add or
Remove Programs left a filled folder CWI in the Program Files folder and
also a filled folder in my home folder's Application Data folder called
MonetDB. Only after removing these and using the installer from the
Paris sourceforge mirror I was freed from a lot of strange messages.

All in all, the installer should have its version number upped, I think.
Hopefully this will lead to up-to-date mirrors. Also, the installer
should notify the user of the old files and folders, giving the choice
of backing those up, or overwrite them, or whatever seems best.

Choosing MonetDB SQL Server and MonetDB SQL Client from the Start Menu:

# Monet Database Server V4.8.0
# Copyright (c) 1993-2005, CWI. All rights reserved.
# Compiled for i686-pc-win32/32bit with 32bit OIDs; dynamically linked.
# Visit http://monetdb.cwi.nl/ for further information.
MonetDB>

copying from the documentation->Front ends->SQL web page
(http://monetdb.cwi.nl/TechDocs/FrontEnds/SQL/index.html):
CREATE USER "voc" WITH PASSWORD 'voc' NAME 'VOC Explorer' SCHEMA "sys";

results in a dialog window, containing:
Mserver.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry
for the inconvenience.

AppName: mserver.exe	 AppVer: 0.0.0.0	 ModName:
lib_sql_server.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0	 Offset: 00057cfa

If you need to have more info, I'll be happy to try to get it for you...
I don't know whether MonetDB.conf in CWI\MonetDB\etc is used, but it
contains the following lines:

# Where MonetDB is installed
prefix=C:\Documents and Settings\sjoerd\My Documents\src\MonetDB\NT
exec_prefix=C:\Documents and Settings\sjoerd\My Documents\src\MonetDB\NT

which is not right on my system, of course.
=

Met vriendelijke groet,

Roger Erens
Euroned Systems