[Monetdb-developers] Lisp trading systems kernel on top of GDK

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 12:58:53 CEST 2005

Martin,

On Jul 28, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Martin Kersten wrote:

> 3) is a good option. Separate the database functionality from the
> application and only extend the kernel if you can not escape it.
> [...]
> indeed, accessing points one-by-one nullifies all positive effects of
> a database system, you should think set-(list-) at a time

I could not see any way of retrieving data in sets or lists using MAPI.
Am I missing something?

> MIL is likely
> to be moved into a corner next year when MonetDB Version 5 is
> released.

What is the expected replacement?

>> or something similar. I'm wondering if MIL would be up to the task.
>> #2 is the option that I would prefer as I could hook up into the GDK
>> to quickly iterate through BATs and BUNs and use Lisp to write
>>
> that is feasible and has been done more often. The pitfall here is
> that
> you may easily screw-up the property infrastructure

What is the property infrastructure?

Can I screw it up by using GDK functions?

> Actually, if your input/updates are fixed, you may consider a much
> faster scheme directly interfacing with updates on the BAT structures.
> The bulk loading routines may give you the hints how to do this.

Just so that I understand you correctly, what do you mean by fixed
input/updates?

     Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/uptick