[Monetdb-developers] 3rd MonetDB-Bug-Day: Mon, Dec 19 2005 (next Monday)

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Fri Dec 16 13:52:30 CET 2005

Dear all,

given the success of the first two MonetDB-Bug-Days on Oct 06 2005 and Nov
09 2005,

--- we managed to check 460 bug reports, added missing test scripts,
re-opened bugs that still/again fail and filed new bug reports ---

there will by a 3rd MonetDB-Bug-Day to (hopefully) check the remaining ~225
bug reports, and produce proper test scripts for our automatic Nightly
Multi-Platform Regression Test System (aka "TestWeb"; cf.
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/Development/TestWeb/):

When:   MOnday, Dec 19, 2005, "all day" (or as much time as you can spent)

Where:  Mainly at CWI, but you're also welcome to join "virtually" working
        from home or any other place in the world;
        for those who (again) want to turn the Bug-Day into a Bug-"Party", I
        reserved our meeting room (C0,01) from 9:00 - 17:00 --- you need to
        bring your own "equipment" though ...

Who:    Primarily everyone who is in touch with MonetDB, and/or one of its
        companions/front ends (SQL, XQuery, etc.), has rights to check-in to
        the MonetDB CVS repository on SourceForge; experiences with
        "Mtest.py" (cf.  http://monetdb.cwi.nl/monet/src/testing/README) are
        helpful, but can also be aquired during the MonetDB-Bug-Day.

What:   I will prepare a list of all bugs that have no test script, yet, and
	chop this in chunks, and assign each chunk to one participant so
	that [s]he can check them, and prepare the respective test scripts.

        More detailed instructions will follow before Monday.

Note:	Though any help is appreciated, no one is "obliged" to help.
	Especially, there is no need to spent the whole day (though nine
	will complain if you do ;-)), anyone can join-in and leave whenever
	[s]he wants.

	For those of you participating at CWI, there will be free snacks and
	soft-drinks during the day (for the time you're "active"; as long as
	supplies lasts).
	Furthermore, there will be "real" drinks at the end of the Bug-Day
	(for participants, only; as long as supplies lasts; (maximum) amount
	 per person will be proportional to the number of test scripts added).

I hope to see especially (though not only) participants that I haven't seen
on the previous MonetDB-Bug-Days ;-)

Once again thank you very much for your cooperation!

CU next Monday,

Stefan

ps: Testing & the TestWeb are not (only?) my "toys"; it's "serious
    business", and helps all of you to (1) get a stable and reliable
    MonetDB, (2) monitor when your own bug reports get fixed, and (3)
    prevent the bugs you once thankfully detected, reported and/or fixed
    from occurring again!