[Monetdb-developers] quotes around chr values

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Wed Aug 17 11:51:14 CEST 2005

I have prepared a patch to put (single) quotes around chr values in
tables as printed by the Mserver.  E.g.:
MonetDB>'a'.print();
[ 'a' ]

Previously this resulted in
MonetDB>'a'.print();
[ a ]

In addition to adding quotes, my patch also escapes control characters:
MonetDB>chr(10).print();
[ '\012' ]

Previously:
MonetDB>chr(10).print();
[
 ]

This also shows a very important reason for wanting to make this change.
 Another example which is possibly even worse is chr(0).print().

I ran the pathfinder and sql tests, and only in pathfinder there are 2
tests that are affected (I will appprove them when I check the patch in).

This message is a heads up.  If you think you might be affected (JDBC,
Perl, others?), then maybe you will need to make changes once I check
this in.

The Mapi library already deals with single-quoted values.

--
Sjoerd Mullender