[Monetdb-developers] RFC: 'intermediate' stable release MonetDB-4.3.18 + SQL-2.0.18

Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl
Sun May 23 17:39:11 CEST 2004

Dear all,
I aggree with moving towards a new release before the key maintainers go on
holiday. Furthermore, major changes over the summer should be carefully
checked, which give you not more then about 2 months to invest in
something new.

I already announced the 'snapshot' and the feature list of 4.3.18 on the
website lately and checked it with Niels.
Items that need work:
- VOC database example [MK]
- Mknife update (there is already a better version out there)
- xtables and friends to be finished [PB]
- PhP and XML documentation included in the web [Niels, Stefan]
- SQL open issues for beta release need to be identified [Niels]
- JDBC beta release [fabian]
- ODBC beta release [sjoerd]

that's my list

> Dear fellow developers,
>
> after recent changes, the latest SQL (intendedly) does not compile with
> the stable MonetDB-4.3.16, anymore.
>
> Moreover, we plan to have some "major" changes both on MonetDB and on
> SQL  during the summer heading for the first "official" release MonetDB
> 4.4 in  autumn.
>
> Hence, Niels and I had the idea to make a "snapshot" or "intermediate
> stable" (pre-)release just before we start with major changes.
>
> The proposal is to start new release candidate branches, both for
> MonetDB and SQL (named MonetDB_4-3-18 and SQL_2-0-18, respectively)
> sometime this week (i.e., before end of May), getting them, stable as
> soon as possible, and aim for a release date about mid June.
>
> The current MonetDB code base seems to be doing quite well, hence I do
> not expect too much work, here, unless we plan to have some more new
> features (Peter: xtables, aggregates, ...?; Stefan: merged-union?) in
> the code.
>
> I guess, the same holds for SQL, but I'm not that sure, there.
>
> Are there any other features, that should be included in this
> "intermediate release"?
>
> A new "stable" also means, that all add-ons that are currently tested
> with 4-3-16 need to be ported to 4-3-18 (i.e., XML, PathFinder (HEAD),
> pruning, misq, gis, acoi) --- which probably requires a careful check,
> that monetdb_config.h is included in the local *_config.h's, and that
> the latter one is the FIRST include file in EACH .c file...
>
> Any other comments, complaints, suggestions, ...?
>
> Open issues (all, mine, I'm afraid |-() are:
>  - testing on AIX (sara, "batch mode"),
>  - testing on medusa (in Tilburg),
>  - testing on native WindowsXP + VS .NET (on Sjoerd's machine)
>  - clean-up / re-implementation of TestTools
>
> Stefan
>
> ps: we could of course also postpone this action until after the ICDE
>     deadline on July 2nd and condense it to at most one week ...
This depends on parallel processing modes. For me it's no problem.