[Monetdb-developers] New feature policy

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Sun May 2 19:53:19 CEST 2004

Arjan,

in priciple, there are two ways to avoid "patching Makefiles and copying
source files":

1) Take the "template" tree from sourceforce as an example how to build your
   own "add-on module" for MonetDB, which you then of course could maintain
   in your own local CVS repository.
   If the (admittedly hardly existing) documentation that comes with
   "template" does not help, you're of course welcome to ask me for details.

2) Check in your module(s) into the MonetDB repository.
   There are three cases to consider:

   a) Your module consists of a single .mx source file, is well defined in
      its functionality, good documented and tested, and of use for a larger
      public.
      In this case, I would not mind if you check-in your module to
      MonetDB/src/modules/plain/ , provided you are also willing to maintain
      it.

   b) Your module consists of a single .mx source file, is well defined in
      its functionality, good documented and tested, but does not meet the
      other pre-conditions under a).
      In this case, you could check-in your module to
      MonetDB/src/modules/contrib/ .

   c) Your module consists of more than one source file, is documented and
      tested.
      In this case, you could add it in its own (new) subdirectory in
      MonetDB/src/modules/ .

In general, 1) should be the way to go, if the module is still in "alpha"
stage and/or only of use for you. In the other cases, one of the
alternatives in 2) can be used.

That's my opinion. Maybe others have different ones... ?

Stefan