[Monetdb-developers] Build date in Mserver startup info

Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Sat May 1 15:12:49 CEST 2004

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 03:52:59PM +0200, Arjan Scherpenisse wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe it would be a good idea to include some information about the
>> build date on startup of Mserver, just like other programs do that
>> (Linux uname -a, Python, etc). That way you quickly can see if you
>> have  the latest version...
> probably beter to keep the welcome message clean. We could simply add a
> build_date variable to the environment bat. Users could then
> do an environment.find("build_data").print;
>
> Niels

good point.

but there is another issue/problem:

obviously, the automatic build date update does only work for code that is
indeed recompiled.
Hence, unless you recompile everything from scratch or force some place
(e.g., the Mserver binary itself) to be recompiled with *any* change in
either of gdk (libbat), monet (libmonet), Mserver, each single module,
there is IMHO no convenient way to get a "consistent" build date as
intended...
Moreover, the build date does not say anything about the source code
version that was used for the build...

Stefan