[Monetdb-developers] Python + SQL

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Thu Apr 22 09:41:49 CEST 2004

Arjan Scherpenisse wrote:
> Martin,
>
> I have fixed the Mapi.py thanks to Niels' tips. The result strings still
> need parsing ofcourse. I could write my own parsing or write wrappers
> for the existing Mapi.h API.

Are you aware of the mapi/clients/python/Cimpl directory and its
contents?  It contains a Python interface to the MAPI on top of the C
implementation.  This code is not (yet) integrated into the build
process because it requires a newer version of SWIG than is installed by
default on RedHat 9.  It does provide a much more complete and more
Python-like interface than the native Python code.

I think this code should definitely be considered when thinking about a
Python Database API wrapper.

In a short discussion Stefan, Marcin and I have had, we concluded that
the native code (Python/Perl/whatever) should be kept simple and a more
complete interface could be provided using techniques such as SWIG.  One
reason for this is that we felt we didn't want to support many different
implementations of the same underlying protocol (MAPI) which is still
under development.

Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd at acm.org>