[Monetdb-developers] Security & usability

Fabian Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Sun Apr 4 17:15:19 CEST 2004

After the checkin by Martin (about giving -u and -P default values on
MapiClient), I had to laugh loudly for a minute (or two) after which I
had to frown, thinking about the security aspect of this change. Not
that it changes much, but being a little minded towards a better
situation is not a bad thing IMHO. (Also for the reputation of monet by
itself for the outside world)

Because I regularly get tired of typing long command line arguments as
well, I propose the following solution, which might fit all kinds of tastes.

What if we would store some preferences we have in a file ~/.monetdb or
something which can be shared by various applications, like MapiClient,
JdbcClient, Mserver itself, and maybe any more...

The file would be simply a properties file containing something like
username=monetdb
password=monetdb
language=sql
startscript=~/monetdb/start_sql

which would instruct MapiClient to use sql language with username + pass
monetdb and tell Mserver when it starts to load the script
~/monetdb/start_sql so I for instance would not have to type
'module(sql_server);' anymore.

Of course command line options override these defaults in this .monetdb
file. It is up to the user to chmod it to 600.

How about this idea?