[Monetdb-announce] Bug-fix releases "MonetDB/XQuery 0.10.2", "MonetDB/SQL 2.10.2" & "MonetDB 4.10.2" (aka. "Earth")

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Fri Feb 24 20:51:58 CET 2006

Dear all,

Today we make available a bug-fix release of our open source high-performance
database system family:
                        MonetDB        4.10.2
                        MonetDB/SQL    2.10.2
                        MonetDB/XQuery 0.10.2
nick-named "Earth".

This new release is available for download from
        http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=56967 .

In this bug-fix release, crucial bug have been fixed that were detected
since the release of MonetDB 4.10.0, MonetDB/SQL 2.10.0, &
MonetDB/XQuery 0.10.0 on January 25, 2006.
Some of the more noticeable bugs being:
- memory leaking in Mserver after prolonged use.
- some XQuery queries giving internal MonetDB errors ('maybe you mean...')
- hanging MonetDB server when shredding/querying multi-GB documents.

For a detailed list please see the MonetDB bug tracker at SourceForge
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=482468&group_id=56967&func=browse
or the MonetDB bug mailing list at SourceForge
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/monetdb-bugs .

On the XMark benchmark, MonetDB/XQuery now is the only implementation to scale
up to 11GB datasets on a single machine, clearly outperforming alternative
systems (eXist, Galax, Berkeley DB XML, X-Hive), by more than a magnitude on
large XML documents and complex (join) queries.

See http://monetdb.cwi.nl/projects/monetdb/XQuery/Overview/Benchmark/
for an in-depth performance comparison of these systems.

The next release of MonetDB version 4 is scheduled for April 2006; this will
include XQuery Update functionality.  By that time we also plan to release the
alpha version of the next generation of MonetDB, version 5.

Further information about MonetDB, MonetDB/SQL and MonetDB/XQuery is
available on our web site at
        http://monetdb.cwi.nl/
        http://monetdb.cwi.nl/SQL/
        http://monetdb.cwi.nl/XQuery/
respectively.  See
        http://monetdb.cwi.nl/Development/Roadmap/
        http://monetdb.cwi.nl/XQuery/Overview/Roadmap/
for details about recent changes, migration from earlier versions, and
future plans.

Regards,
The MonetDB Development Team

ps: For questions, comments, etc. please use the respective mailing lists
    (cf., http://monetdb.cwi.nl/News/MailChannels/ ; prefered), or send an
    email to monet at cwi.nl.